July 14, 2013 by Emedica
It’s worth developing a methodical and structured approach to these questions – looking at various features in turn.
- Pattern: Look to see if the patterns are symmetrical, or a rotation, or a mirror image. See what sizes different shapes are.
- Count: Look for number of shapes, edges, corners, intersections, right angles, curved lines.
- Place: See if the shapes are positioned specifically – either higher or lower in the box or near the edge or touching another shape
- Other: There is often more than one rule and also conditional rules. Check for secondary rules before answering
- Direction: If there are arrows or lines then consider where they are pointing and what they’re pointing to.
So – work through PC PLOD! – Pattern, count, place, other and direction!
We have over 100 free UKCAT questions for you to try. We also have over 2000 fully updated UKCAT questions, with the same screen layout as the real thing. The service reflects all the new changes for the current year.